Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Graduation is upon us

It's an interesting experience, to say the least.

I, as a homeschooled teenager, am in somewhat of an awkward position. I'm advanced in grade for my age (I'm writing this as a senior). But I am and am not graduating. I'll be a senior for another year, because they apparently didn't count an online course I took in 9th grade. So I'm walking, but not graduating. Yeah, it's confusing.
The thing is, I feel stuck in this sort of limbo phase where many of my friends are leaving to go to college. Sure, they'll still be around, but it feels as though my life is fading bit by bit. I'm stuck out here on a limb, all alone, as everyone I've traveled with goes on ahead; and all I can do is wish them well. I also have a job that occupies about a fourth of my time. I'm doing some serious college surfing, and I'm still undecided as to what path I'll be taking. I'm reaching my hands into the world that is separate from the care of my parents, and I can't help but feel how small I am.

For all of you that are still in high school, this is how graduating feels like. It's a scary thing. We may look cool, kids, but our responsibility is not.

In my life, I've moved quite a few times to different states. Each time, I've had to sacrifice that part of my past in what I've left behind. It feels like snipping small pieces out of your heart, let me tell you. Of course, I know from experience that after a while you make new friends. Things return to normal.
That doesn't make the passing any less painful, however.

I love to make people laugh. The notion that my words or actions spawns joy or hilarity in someone is something that can warm my heart like nothing else. I'm no professional comedian. But sometimes, the sarcasm and wit that I say is really forced.
"Man up," I can hear Reaper saying. "The world is no place for a baby."

Yeah, I know, pal.

A world full of people trying to deceive, attack, and corrupt me?
Look at that, fear. See that? See what's standing between me and you? Just the Creator of the Universe.
"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 8:38-39

Yeah, fear. Yeah, world.
Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment