Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Couple Reviews

Yo guys,
So on the trip to Romania I watched several videos on the plane. They were, to my memory, Les Miserables, Gladiator, Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol, and Wreck - it - Ralph. All for the first time. So in this post I'll give you all seperate little reviews on each one.

Les Miserables
For months I've heard such a fuss about this movie. A lot of the girls in my youth group loved it. I wanted to see it for a long time, and finally I got the chance. So, did it live up to my expectations? Somewhat. I have to admit (and this may sound stupid) I didn't expect it to be a musical. Heeheh, heeheh, yeah...I was kind of surprised. But as a musical, it certainly lived up to my expectations; spectacular. I thought it was awesome. The only thing is, I don't really like musicals. They're just not my piece of pie. Nonetheless, it was cool. I think the most arbitrary part of its being a musical was when 24601 had Cosette and was trying to hide from Javerre, then bursts out in this extremely loud song that made me wince. Yeah, some ninja you are.

Gladiator
One of the best movies ever made. It truly deserves its acclaim. The story of a Roman general who is named a Caesar's succesor, but betrayed by the Cesear's son. His wife and children murdered, and himself thought dead, he becomes a gladiator and fights his way to fame, revealing himself to the trecherous Caesar's son in the Coliseum. Eventually he fights Caesar himself, but seriously wounded, he dies, taking Caesar along with him. It was a compelling story, and on of the best I've seen. If you haven't seen it, WATCH IT.

Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Well, I should start out by saying this is a Tom Cruise movie. That in and of itself brings up a few pre-expectations. Most Tom Cruise movies are fairly clean (as to language and sex), and this one was pretty good. If I had to estimate, I'd say it was an above average movie, but not great either. It had some really funny parts, but sometimes cheesy. They infiltrate the Kremlin, for heaven's sake. The gadgetry was pretty insane. If you wanna watch it, fine. If not, whatever. It's not spectacular.

Wreck-It-Ralph
Out of all the movies I watched, I have to say this one was neck-to-neck with Gladiator. I really enjoyed it. Their concept of arcade games was intriguing, the characters interesting, and the story riveting. I think I nearly cried during the climax, and for me, that's the sign of a good movie. If you haven't seen it, I fully recommend it. It's a great piece of film.

2 comments:

  1. Your notes on Les Mis made me laugh, as Lydia had a similar experience. She had no idea it was a musical and, turns out, she absolutely hates them, which is weird since she's starred in two...

    Anyway, I haven't seen the other two, but I did watch Wreck-It-Ralph on the plane ride back home from England, and I loved it. I definitely wasn't expecting to, either, so that was a nice surprise. It's come in pretty handy when talking to four year olds, too, so that's a plus. :P
    I didn't cry, though... I'm pretty much an emotionless monster when it comes to movies. I pretty much never cry... I didn't cry in Les Mis, which I think was the pinnacle of my robotic-ness. I cry in books all the time (and, now that I think about it, TV shows), but never in movies. Huh.

    -Constance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The irony...we watched Wreck-it Ralph on our vacation too.
    For being a Disney movie, it had a very unpredictable ending, lol. I thought I had the whole thing figured out, but it wasn't until the conclusion was right in my face that I went, "Oh. So that's how they did it." XD

    ReplyDelete