Friday, August 9, 2013

Fanservice, Ladies and...Ladies

Any of you happen to be diehard anime fans? Then when I say 'Fanservice', you should know exactly what I'm talking about.

For those of you noobs who don't know, allow me to ruin what remains of your childhood. Fanservice is when, in anime, a character is sexually put forth for the satisfaction of those watchers who like that character. Mostly, this partains to female characters, but there are plenty of boytoys out there too.

As a pure observer, I can see why this happens. Anime does this to appeal to the audience, and thus get more money. They do it for profit.
Buuut, in a critical mindset, that's total BS (Butterfly Sandwiches, Constance, Butterfly Sandwiches). Ignore that inside joke. As I was saying, for critical people fanservice is just stupid. When anime does try to increase the sex appeal of a character it almost inevitably ends in detraction from that character's depth. It makes them shallow and simple, no matter how much anime might try and cover that up with plot. As a result, it detracts from the value of the anime as a whole.

Those of you who know me (hello, all three of you) know that I don't watch anime much, if at all. The reason for that is because my parent's don't allow it, and until I can fend for myself their word is law. BUT ninety percent of the reason they don't allow it is just what we're discussing - fanservice. (the other ten percent is language and bad morals) I hate fanservice. If it didn't exist I'd be watching a lot more anime, guaranteed.

Is there an anime without fanservice?......so far as I know, nope. The closest you might get would be Fate/Zero, but even it has a moment or two.
I HATE fanservice.
Shut up, anime. Just shut up! Shove all that filthy eye candy down your throat! BECOME something!! DDAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment