Friday, August 9, 2013

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

So, G.I. Joe.

Haha, it rhymed.

Anyway, I recently watched said movie. Here's what I thought.

Anyone see the previous movie? If not, no sweat. I did a little research and found out it was widely regarded as a piece of...moldy cheese. So called because it was horribly cheesy.
Was this one the same?
Er...kinda.
Allow me to fill you in on the plot, so if you want to skip it then scroll down to the 'end spoilers' in all caps.

--SPOILERS ALERT--
So, this movie starts out with the 'G.I. Joe's' and, er...something about nuclear weapons? They're conducting some sort of raid because the president said...so. I dunno. Anyway, the president turns out to be a replacement of the original president and a member of G.I. Joe's archenemy, Cobra. How he managed the switch...eh...just go with it. So he frames them for the raid in the beginning and declares them rogue (whaat?....just go with it...I guess...) and so they are destroyed. In the process of destroying them Duke, the leader of the Joes, is killed. Three of his 'Joemates' survive and swear revenge. They find out the president's a fake, uncover a plot by Hydra to rule the world (of course!) and stop them.

So, problems with this movie. There's plenty of minor ones, but first of all, why did they kill Duke? His death has practically no impact. True, the Joes swear to avenge his death, but Duke is murdered alongside of a ton of other Joes. They've got plenty of motivation without a dead leader anyway. I guess they just really wanted to get rid of him...for some...reason?

Next - and this is actually probably a smaller problem - the entirety of London is obliterated in a demonstration of power by the Cobra commander. I mean completely obliterated. Wiped from the face of the planet. Apparently Cobra's secret weapon are 'rods' that have many times the power of a nuke. Okay, I can buy that...but why destroy London? It certainly proved a point...but everybody just ignores it. It isn't even talked about afterwards. WHAT?? You just destroyed one of the biggest metropolises in the world - a capitol, nonetheless, with millions of people - and no one even mentions it afterwards? I'm offended, movie, and I'm not even a Brit.

--END SPOILERS--
Lastly, it's just plain overdone. The acting is just plain cheesy at times and so is the action. It gets to the point of ludicrous stunts, most of which are due to Snake Eyes, whom I will pardon on account of his pure awesomeness. (Have you seen the guy? He could whip Chuck Norrisaldksajfoewiajfaowafesas........)

Ah, apologies. My head just got slammed into my keyboard by something. Moving on.

Despite its problems, I actually enjoyed the movie. The dialogue, while not stellar, was interesting and pretty funny at times. The action might have been overdone, but who doesn't like to revel in a bit of impossible fun once in a while? I mean, this movie had NINJAS in it. That in and of itself calls for some cool if a bit far-fetched stunts. It doesn't have the horrible reputation of its predecessor, and I can see why.
If you feel in the mood to watch this movie, I recommend renting or borrowing it. It's not good enough to own, but it certainly deserves a peek. Be warned, though - there is some swearing and one rather suggestive scene in it. Otherwise, it's fine.

Until next time this is yours truly signing off, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment