Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hop: Review

'Hop'.

Well, at least the cover and title match, I thought as I looked over the picture of a cute fluffy bunny surrounded by chickens. "Developed by the creators of 'Despicable Me'?" Huh. Flip. Colorful and full of laughs. Riiiight. I guess I'll give it a view. Probably'll bore me to pieces.

Boy was I kind of right and wrong at the same time.


SPOILERS ALERT

'Hop' is a movie about the Easter Bunny. Simple, right? Obviously a kids movie, you say. And you'd be right.

We start out with E.B., our main bunny who likes to play drums. His dad is one of a long line of Easter bunnies, charged with distributing easter baskets to kids on Easter eve. Kind of like Santa Claus, except less awesome, and with chicks instead of reindeer.
Chicks.
You heard right.

E.B. is destined to take over the business and become the next Easter Bunny, but all he wants to do is play drums. So after a short argument with his dad, he runs away to Hollywood to pursue his dreams.
Here we meet Fred, a lazy, layabout kid who has no job and lives with his parents. His mom, dad, and two sisters desperately want him to get a job and move out, so they kick him out. His sister gives him a temporary house-sitting job for a rich man who owns a huge mansion. E.B. just happens run into him...literally, and thus begins their relationship.

I won't spoil it all for you, because I believe you should actually watch it. But throughout the movie their unique relationship leads to a lot of awkward and funny moments, some of which I'll talk about later on.

So, how was it overall?
To be honest, I thought it was kind of average while I was viewing it. The jokes were okay, I was definitely smiling at most of them; but not really laughing. The plot was a kiddie plot, so of course it wasn't enthralling. The characters were okay.
BUT.
After I finished, I thought back over it, and I decided...this movie actually did several things very, very right.
First of all: the plot. It's stupid and kiddish, of course. There are so many clichéd moments I could barely count them. But in fact, this is where the movie does things so well. You know, you just know it when a cliché's coming up, savvy? You're like, "I know what's coming next. It's been done countless times before. Come on, movie, get it over with." But this movie would sometimes insert a little thing just before the cliché came up, and you'd be like 'wait, is this really going to be it?' It's like the movie is saying "Here it comes, boy, here it comes, here it comes WAIT....is it coming? Really? Really? REALLY? Yeah, it's here, you idiot." And that's a refreshing take on things, to be honest.

Second of all, the tone. This movie had millions of chances to take itself seriously, but it never really does. Sure there are a few heartfelt moments, but most of the movie is mock reality. The fact that we're talking about British-accented Easter Bunnies who poop jelly beans helps, I suppose.

Lastly, the characters. They're shallow, yes, but this is a kiddie movie. Considering that, they're actually well done. E.B. is very likeable and upbeat, and Fred is your typical bumbling yet handsome idiot. Perfect for partnership, right?

Final verdict: Borrow or rent. You can buy it, I guess...I can see myself watching it after seeing something like the Hunger Games, I suppose, as an antidepressant. But besides that, this movie deserves at least one watch. Check it out.

And for free, here's a scene from the movie. E.B. and Fred are in the car, and E.B. is suggesting jobs off of the local newspaper.
"Chaffuer?"
"No."
"Hairdryer?"
"Nope."
"Mailman?"
"Just tried that."
"Oooh, here's a good one. 'The wind in your face and a hot babe on your arm'. Sounds like the job for you, right?"
"That's a car ad."
"Oh. Well, then you need that car."

That's the gist of it, at least. See you later, ladies and gentlewomen.

No comments:

Post a Comment