Monday, November 4, 2013

SUSMUN

Hey guys, wazzuuuuuup.
Wazzzzuuuuuuuup?

Haaaaaa?

I'M BACK! YEAH! Thank you, thank you. Sorry, I don't do autographs. Or hugs, because people are sick. But thanks, yes, yes, I love you all too. Now shut up and sit down, I have something to talk about, savvy? I'm not just writing this post because I'm tired, bored, and have nothing else to do. Of course not. I mean, that would....

Yes, I'm rambling, wait a second and let me spell out the title.

Southern United States Model United Nations, otherwise known as SUSMUN (suss - mun). It is what it sounds like. A mock UN meeting in the good ol' South. This one, specifically, was at the Hilton in Atlanta.

If you'd like the short version, it was a bunch of people in suits sitting around discussing issues yelling at each other and doing nothing significant. I was representing the Kingdom of Sweden, that jolly old nation in Europe that (fun fact) has a black market in strawberries, no joke.

"Hey you kids....wanna buy some strawberries?"

There were several committees, of which I was in SPECPOL (Special Political and Decolonization Committee). The main topic of discussion was "health and human rights in refugee camps", and believe you me when I say there ain't nowhere else in the world you can get as sick of the word refugee as you could there. I ended up wishing I was North Korea. Just nuke all the refugees, problem solved. Bing!

So let me elaborate on the schedule. We arrived at the Hilton on Friday around four o'clock. Checked in, visited a prep meeting, then set up in our rooms and headed to opening ceremonies. From there, we had dinner and then headed to our separate committees for our first session, which was a solid 3 and a half hours. It ended at eleven p.m. (Needless to say, I didn't get enough sleep). The next morning I woke up at seven, had an impromptu snackish breakfast and headed to session two, another 3 and a half hours. Then we had an hour and a half break for lunch. Then we had a SIX AND A HALF hour session, and then dinner for an hour and a half. Then another three-and-a-half hour session, again ending around eleven (but technically ten, since Daylight Savings Time). Sunday we again had an impromptu breakfast and then headed to our last three-and-a-half hour session, where we voted on the resolutions we had formulated over the weekend. Then we went to closing ceremonies, packed up and headed out.
I arrived at home, unpacked a little, and collapsed in bed at around three-thirty p.m., waking up today at about nine thirty a.m.

Did I mention I was a little tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment