Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Lorax and First Knight - Review

Hey guys you're back, with the one and only.

Just recently I watched two movies back-to-back that had nothing to do with each other. The Lorax, a Dr. Seuss movie about goin' green, and First Knight, a tale of Arthur of Camelot and Lancelot, with poor Queen Guinevere caught in between.

SPOILERS ALERT

The Lorax:
Well, if you've read the book, not much can spoil the movie. Though, it is a bit different. The main part of the whole movie is actually a tale being told by the Once-ler (the man who chopped down all the trees) to a young boy who is the protagonist.

His name escapes me at the moment. I think it's Ted.

Anyway, said boy wants to get a real tree to give to his girlfriend, who just happens to want a real tree and just happens to say that if some guy did get one for her she'd marry him on the spot.
Eheh, eheh.
Did I mention this girl's voice actor is Taylor Swift? Figures.

So...yeah. The Once-ler just happens to have the last tree seed with him (which he didn't plant...for no reason) and gives it to, er, Ted. Who manages to convince the whole village that going green is necessary.
And he gets a kiss from Taylo-I mean, Audrey. His girlfriend.
(That relationship won't last long.)

And that was that. What did I think?
I thought it was pretty good. It was very funny yet heartfelt and emphatic. The dialogue was witty and entertaining, albeit obviously scripted. (There were several famous actors in it as well) But overall it got its point across very well.
Well, pretty much all of it did. There was one very emotional scene where the Lorax is sending the animals away because the landscape is now desolate, and he himself is departing into the last ray of sunlight...
...which he does by grabbing the folds of his...butt, and flying away.
Ha, ha. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or both.

First Knight:
Well I have to admit I didn't like this one as much as the Lorax.
Actually, let me change that. I liked it in a different way. Allow me to explain.
The Lorax was a funny, heartfelt movie that appealed to all ages, kids to seniors. This particular movie was more engineered for adults, thus there were 'thematic events' that were meant for older eyes.
I'll elaborate. The movie is basically about Lancelot, who is a sellsword, riding around doin' nothing. The main villian is of course the eeevil Prince Malagant, who likes to burn things up in the name of the law.
Guinevere, the sole heir to a large portion of land, decides to marry Arthur to protect her people. Oh, and 'for wuv'. But on her way to Camelot, she's ambushed by Malagant. Fortunately, it just so happens that Lancelot is there and rescues her. And this is where all the romance junk begins.
Basically the rest of the movie is about the love triangle of Arthur, Guinever, and Lancelot. In the end of the movie Arthur is in fact killed by Malagant who in turn is killed by Lancelot. Arthur in his dying moments hands Lancelot his kingdom and so Lancelot gets the crown and the girl.

What did I think. I thought...em...I thought it was actually pretty good. I mean, if you like romance it was very tense in that regard. And Lancelot is of course awesome throughout the whole movie. And Arthur (portrayed by the dramatic Sean Connery) is a very strong, passionate character. I admit, I nearly cried when his funeral scene came around. It was that heartfelt.
The plot was laid out quite nicely, and the dialogue and characters very intriguing.

So when it comes down to it, both movies were very well done. I fully recommend watching them. If you want to actually buy them, go ahead - I actually would rather buy the Lorax and rent First Knight. But it's your choice.
Yours truly, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment