Monday, July 8, 2013

The Princess Bride

Many of you, I'm sure, have seen the classic "Princess Bride". I'm not going to outline it for you so if you haven't seen it, go see it.

It's a comedy. I think. Right? Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
The little kid's the most annoying character next to Humperdink. Dahhh. I wish they'd both just die.

My favorite part has to be when the grandpa says to the kid 'Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.'
Of course, the whole movie's over-the-top and full of cliches. The plot is randomly revealed through pointless exposition scenes. You come up against a character and tadaa, they give you a plot point. With no obligation to do so. Still, it's a hoot.

You know when Buttercup is captured? I counted almost a dozen times she could have escaped. Instead, she's all like 'ooh, aah, helpless little me'.
Not to mention the several times Wesley could have been murdered by Viccini's counterparts. Instead, they're all 'fair play' and whatnot. Pish. Just kill him already! There is no glory in defeat, nor honor in death.
Oh yeah, and there's one scene where Prince Humperdink jumps onto his saddle from a high ledge. As he hit the leather I winced. Just...wow. The guy didn't even cringe. His family jewels must be made of steel, or something.

And Buttercup's 'twoo wuv' act in the second part is just...wushmush. You may be able to call other people names now, sweetheart, but I'm not foohooWAHT! Did you just call me a slimy newt? Oh well. Too bad.
My favorite character by far has to be Miracle Max. "True love, is the greatest thing in the woyld. Except for a nice MLT; Mutton Lettuce and Tomato where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are fresh and ripe...mmm it's so perky, I love it."

There's also a reference that totally doesn't belong in that type of movie. When they're in the fire swamp, Wesley says, "It's not that bad." Buttercup gives him a strange look, then he says "Well I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here but the trees are actually quite lovely."
Twentieth century.......FTW! Whatever.

Despite the plot (and acting) being quite cheesy, this movie is a true classic. If you haven't seen it, you've missed out on life. SEE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment